The Department of Visual Instruction of the National Education Association of the United States was established in 1923. In 1932 the dept. absorbed the National Academy of Visual Instruction (established in 1920 and later consolidated with the Visual Instruction Association of the U.S.) In 1947 the name of the Department of Visual Instruction was changed to Department of Audiovisual Instruction. In 1969 the dept. became a national affiliate of NEA, and in 1970 its name was changed to Association for Educational Communications and Technology.Works by NEA's Department of Visual Instruction and Department of Audiovisual Instruction are found underNational Education Association of the United States. Department of Audiovisual Instruction.Works by the other bodies are found under the following headings according to the name used at the time of publication:Visual Instruction Association of the U.S.National Academy of Visual Instruction.Association for Educational Communications and Technology.SUBJECT ENTRY: Works about these bodies are entered under the name or names in existence during the latest period for which subject coverage is given. In the case where the required name is represented in this catalog only under a later form of the name, entry is made under the later form.